Employees may donate vacation time to fellow
employees in hardship cases as deemed by department management and Human
- Provide documentation for non-work related seriously incapacitating illness
or injury as certified by a physician for self or member of immediate
- Exhaust all vacation and sick leave and not be currently eligible for
- Fall under leave of absence guidelines requiring one year of service with a
minimum of 1,250 hours worked.
- Submit a request for donated leave to immediate supervisor indicating reason
and anticipated amount of lost work time.
Hours are based on actual wages. For example, if employee A making $15/hour
donates four hours of vacation to employee B making $7.50/hour, employee B will
be credited with eight hours of wages.
- Retain a minimum of 40 hours of vacation leave for personal use.
- Complete a Employee Leave Request. Form must be signed and dated by employee
and department manager, indicating approval.
Donated time will be charged against the recipient's allowed 12-week leave
of absence time frame.
Only vacation hours may be donated. Sick hours are a personal benefit and
may not be donated.
Contributed by Leslie, participant on Employers' Forum
Find more sample polices and letters on HRhero.com