Brochure | Register Now | Agenda
COMING TO Tennessee
THURSDAY, JUNE 10
Embassy Suites Nashville
or call (800) 274-6774
$497 for 1st Attendee
$397 per additional attendee
Cancellation Policy :
A $50 processing fee applies to all conference cancellations.
Coming to Nashville, Thursday, June 10, 2010...
President Obama has announced his intention to "recess appoint" pro-union democrats to fill NLRB empty seats, increasing the likelihood that many of the Board's decisions under President Bush will be reversed, including rulings on bargaining and union election notifications.
Get the facts about Big Labor's new push and learn about the tactics you can use to keep unions OUT of your workplace by attending Labor Union Avoidance Master Class -- your one-day crash course for fending off Labor’s aggressive new recruitment agenda.
You'll get an explanation of the very latest developments, rulings, and techniques for winning the fight to remain union-free:
- What’s on the very near horizon, including potential passage of the Employee Free Choice Act and an inevitable reconfiguration of the NLRB
- A comprehensive 5-step action plan for staying union-free
- How to react to modern Labor’s newest organizing techniques
- How to use management-employee relationships to make unions irrelevant
- Secrets to communicating to employees the true cost of union representation
- How to spot things your managers are doing -- right now -- that roll out the red carpet to unions
- How to fight aggressively and still comply with the NLRA
- Carrots and sticks you should NEVER consider when campaigning against collective bargaining
- And much, much more. See your AGENDA below!
Labor Union Avoidance Master Class features:
Lively Give and Take: Unlike some seminars, you’re encouraged to ask questions, present your own situations for discussion, and interact with both the speaker and your colleagues.
Top-Level Issues: No beginners course, this one-day program tackles the very latest, most confusing, most complicated union organizing issues and gives you a clear road map to consistently keeing unions at bay.
Satisfaction Guarantee: You’re entitled to a complete refund if you’re in any way less than delighted by this program.
Don’t wait for a union to target your workforce for organization. Learn what you can do — NOW — to keep your workplace union-free, and avoid the disruption that can come with collective bargaining. Register now for Labor Union Avoidance Master Class, your one-day crash course in fending off Labor’s aggressive new recruitment agenda.
Your MASTER CLASS Presenter, a leading Tennessee management attorney with Miller & Martin PLLC:
Your lead presenter, Tony Swafford, is a partner with Miller & Martin, PLLC. He represents national and regional clients in traditional labor and in employment-related matters. Mr. Swafford has successfully defended union organizing attempts in nine states covering all regions of the country by a number of unions including the Teamsters, Steelworkers, Machinists and the SEIU.
His other work includes practice before the National Labor Relations Board and the National Mediation Board, negotiation of collective bargaining agreements, labor arbitrations, employer counseling, development of employment policies, mediation and settlement of disputes, responding to administrative charges of discrimination before state and federal agencies, employment litigation, Labor and Employment audits and in house training. He is general counsel on labor and employment matters for a number of clients in both manufacturing and service industries.
8:00 a.m.-9:00 a.m.
Breakfast and Registration
9:00 a.m.- 9:45 a.m.
How the Employee Free Choice Act and Other Labor Legislation Would Open the Floodgates
Widely known as the card check law, the original proposed Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA) would require you to recognize a union based solely on it obtaining a majority of signed authorization cards. In fact, sufficient union cards can be obtained before you’re even aware of the signing campaign. If you interfere in the card-gathering activities, you would be subject to civil penalties. In this session, learn:
- What the EFCA means for your workplace policies, based on the text of the legislation and details of a potential revised compromise bill.
- How the card-check provision works and compares to the current law for union elections.
- How potential modifications to the EFCA (such as shorter unionization campaigns, faster elections, and more union access to the workplace) would affect your organization.
- The practical impact on your workplace of mandatory arbitration of first contracts.
- The increased penalties for unfair labor practices that the EFCA would carry and what, if anything, you can do to offset or avoid them.
- Other labor legislation and how it would affect your organization.
9:45 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
Know Your Rights As an Employer Under the Law
It’s a common misconception among nonunionized employers that the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) and the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) deal with issues involving only unionized employers. So it’s not unusual for nonunion employers to unknowingly violate the NLRA in day-to-day operations, such as prohibiting or restricting employees from engaging in certain activities. In this session, you’ll learn the rights that every nonunionized employer has at its disposal and should be ready to use. This session will:
- Explore how NLRA Section 7 and Section 8, safeguard the workers’ rights to self-organize.
- Explain employer rights under Section 8(c).
- Provide a brief overview of the collective bargaining process and its limitations.
- Offer tips on lawful communication with employees about unions and collective bargaining.
10:30 a.m.-10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
Train Supervisors to Spot Warning Signs of an Organizing Campaign
The critical element of the original EFCA is that you may not even be aware that a union is soliciting employees to sign authorization cards. And even if modified, the EFCA would include shorter unionization campaigns and faster elections. Therefore, it’s important for your supervisors to learn how to spot the first ripples of union organization at your company. In this session, you’ll learn how to create an early warning system using your managers. Just as importantly, you’ll learn how to respond appropriately, without panic, drama, or overreaction, using the keys to early detection and response, including how to:
- Educate supervisors on economic and noneconomic reasons employees may turn to a union.
- Train supervisors to respond appropriately if employees alert them to union activity, including what they can and cannot say.
- Teach supervisors to be willing and available to discuss union issues and answer any employee questions.
- Lay out for supervisors the type of information to which you need to be alerted, before it’s too late.
11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m.-1:45 p.m.
Make Unions Irrelevant Through Effective Supervisor-Employee Relations
Employees’ acceptance or rejection of union representation is heavily influenced by the relationship they have with their supervisors. So what can your management team do to improve that relationship? Using real-life examples from leading U.S. companies, you will learn how you can train your supervisors to:
- Set a positive tone for employee relations.
- Engage employees on workplace issues.
- Establish policies, practices, and programs that instill positive manager-employee relations.
1:45 p.m.-2:30 p.m.
Landmines to Sidestep During Organizing Campaigns
When you’ve confirmed that a union has targeted your workplace, your first reaction might be one of anger or a sense of betrayal. But the way that you respond will be very important, especially because it could result in unfair labor practice claims and additional expensive legal bills. If the EFCA passes, any interference in union card-gathering activities would be subject to enhanced scrutiny. Statutory penalties for unlawful discharges would be increased to provide triple back pay and civil penalties of up to $20,000 for each unfair labor practice deemed willful or repeated. In this session, learn:
- How to avoid unfair labor practice claims.
- Why you shouldn’t make threats or promises or intimidate employees in any way.
- Ways to provide backup to your managers and supervisors.
- How to respond when mistakes are made.
2:30 p.m.-2:45 p.m.
2:45 p.m.-3:30 p.m.
Actions That Employers Should Take Today!
If the EFCA is passed, you can count on two things: union membership will increase and the new law will likely be one of the most inappropriately named statutes in existence. Here we’ll discuss the steps you can take toward a healthy and productive work environment, including how to:
- Conduct employee surveys to identify problem areas.
- Communicate with employees regarding your company and the benefits of a nonunion workplace.
- Advise employees about issues involved in signing union authorization cards.
- Maintain an ongoing campaign against unionization at your work site.
3:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Questions and Answers
Labor Union Avoidance Master Class: Countering Labor's Aggressive
New Organizing Agenda is just $497.
or call (800) 274-6774
If you aren’t currently the target of a union drive, don’t rest easy.
A number of events are taking place that are setting stage for a “perfect storm” of labor organization:
Dear Tennessee Employer,
Radical changes in employment law are poised to give unprecedented power to unions looking to expand into non-union settings. The original proposed Employee Free Choice Act, known as the card-check law, would force you to accept collective bargaining if a majority of employees submit union authorization cards, eliminating secret balloting.
This would open the door to threats and intimidation of employees who decline to sign. Even a watered down “compromise” version of the EFCA would make it significantly easier for unions to infiltrate organizations through shorter unionization campaigns and quick elections. All versions of the proposed law also demand dramatically increased penalties for employers who try to fight back.
Additionally, the inevitable reconfiguration of the NLRB into a pro-labor majority will likely happen in 2010. Such a restructured NLRB could have a significant effect on labor law and policy by reversing NLRB decisions issued under the last administration and setting new precedent.
But if you want to stay union-free, the situation isn’t hopeless. You just have to know what you can and can’t do when it comes to pushing back and maintaining healthy and productive relationships with your employees.
That’s why I urge you to spend just one day with leading management attorney Tony Swafford, of Miller & Martin PLLC, learning, asking, sharing, and building your company arsenal of safe, effective, and legal tactics.
When you attend Labor Union Avoidance Master Class: Countering Labor’s Aggressive New Organizing Agenda, you not only gain action items and a detailed 5-step plan, you get your questions answered by experts who have successfully advised dozens of employers facing union campaigns. It’s the kind of valuable business intelligence you can share with top management to gain even greater respect and credibility.
Please complete and return the registration form on the back or call 800-274-6774. If you aren’t completely satisfied, I’ll refund your registration fee.
President & Publisher
Federal Employment Law Insider
and 50 state-specific Employment Law Letters
The use of this seal is not an endorsement by HRCI of the quality of the program. It means that this program has met HRCIs criteria to be pre-approved for recertification credit.
CREDIT INFORMATION: This program has been approved for 5 recertification credit hours through the HR Certification Institute. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.
Labor Union Avoidance Master Class: Countering Labor's Aggressive
New Organizing Agenda is $497.
or call (800) 274-6774
Back to State Seminars schedule
Back to Conferences & Seminars